Friday, May 17, 2013

Paris Trend: Pantalons des Celebrations


Pantalons des Celebrations
(these words on a sign in a Paris shop made me smile)
 & literally means:  
PARTY PANTS
Pants in the windows at Colette, the cutting edge Paris shop on rue St. Honore
showing the trend to floral pants and pattern mixing and proving....
 'Nothing succeeds like excess!"
Colored and patterned pants are a trend I saw in Paris both in shops/windows and on people in the street...women, men and children.  
Solids in easter egg colors.
Prints of all kinds.
While I love my basic black and neutral pants, one way to add a touch of spring to your wardrobe is with a colored or printed pant.
Can be quiet or wild, elegant or outrageous.
YOU choose.
Spring/Summer Pant Sew Along

Win $100 in fabric from marcytilton.com
Check out the ideas on this blog, then make yourself a pair of 'pantalons des celebrations'....'party pants'.

Simple rules: 

  • No plain solid color pants 
  • Use a color, a print or embellishment.
  • Any Pattern
  • Any Fabric or combination of fabrics
  • If the winner uses any Tilton sisters pattern or any fabric from marcytilton.com, the prize goes up to  $150.

Send photo/s and info to:  marcytilton@me.com
I'll post the winning photo here on this blog and on my FaceBook page.
Deadline:  Midnight May 31
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Paris Pants
Pants photos from my recent Paris trip that caught the camera's eye,
mostly jean-type skinny pants but also in softer styles.
At all prices, including some rather nice 20-29 euro stretch jeans in stalls in front of the big BHV department store.  
Katherine scored 2 pairs and discreetly tried them on in an empty stall right on the street!

Kids too.
Red is the most popular color I saw on people in the street.
All ages, sizes and shapes.
Kind of, but not really a jean, this version is a bright cobalt blue.
200 euros.

Love the knee detail 



I want to try this knee detail using Vogue 8859...see line drawing below, should be a simple enough pattern tweak to add the pieced detailing at the knee.  
Stay tuned, have not figured it out yet. 
The French use a lot of the 'tricolor' which they refer to as bleu, blanc, rouge:
blue, white, red, the color of the French flag (ours too, bien sur).
Ethnic prints are another trend.  
Animal prints are always chic.
BIG stripes, these not for the faint of heart!
Double print with lace motif...lace is another trend.
Cutwork and lace.
Expensive.
Black belt again.

Bespoke custom pants with impeccable piping detail.
This smaller overall print in navy/white is very wearable.
4 different fabrics, shown here for boys, but a bonne idee (good idea) for women too.
Fabric suggestions from our collection:
Cafe au Lait stretch cotton sateen is the right weight for a narrow pant....I took some of this for myself.
Spring Dance Stretch Cotton would work for a narrow pant.
Fit to Print French Linen is a good choice for a soft pant.
Gaslight French Viscose would make a flattering soft pant to wear with black tops and jackets.
Grape Stretch Cotton would work for a soft or a fitted/skinny pant.
Gray Line Italian Cotton would make a great basic soft summer pant, and I'd cut the stripes going vertically....I took some of this for my own wardrobe.
Gray Spirals French Linen would make a chic little soft pant.
Marguerite Cotton would be light and cool in a soft little summer pant.
Street of Dreams French Cotton for a soft pant.

Stripes and Dots Stretch Cotton for a skinny or soft pant.
Waterfront French Viscose for a soft pant to wear with black and blue tops and jackets.

Tribeca French Linen for a sophisticated soft pant.
Soft Pant Pattern Suggestions:
The following 3 are new Vogue patterns I like and that are designed for wovens, so would work for cottons, linens and linen blends.
Vogue 8883
Vogue 8909
Vogue 8913

Skinny Pant Pattern Suggestions:
My 2 favorite go-to easy to sew/fit and super flattering narrow pant patterns.  Use these 2 patterns with stretch wovens and stable knits.
I make these again and again, could live in them!

I crop the length for warmer weather.
Vogue 8859
Vogue 8837

Coming Soon:  New Craftsy Class
with Katherine and Marcy Tilton
Official Launch date:
Wednesday, May 22





7 comments:

  1. Love this post. I think patterned leggings are fabulous too. Not for me, but I love seeing them on others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute pants! Thanks for the pattern & fabric suggestions, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Party pants...I love the name. I bought some grey and black floral leggings while in the Bay Area last month and like wearing them with solid tops. I think I'd love to make a soft pair of pants with an impressionist print. hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your site..the Tilton sister's make sewing seem doable.
    Craftsy class? Yes. I love that site. Will check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love wearing print pants! Will try to make a pair of the Katherine Tilton skinny knit ones from 8837 that I'be been wanting to try soon. Fun, another sew along. I've been loving wearing my little black tee from the last one and getting lots of compliments. I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just the motivation I need to get some printed pants made. Must get busy!

    ReplyDelete