Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Summertime Sewing With Girlfriends

To celebrate finishing up a long-term project for a future Vogue pattern I want to make some hot weather clothes.  This summer's at home uniform is soft pants and light tunics.  Using tried and true patterns I cut out a batch of pants and tunics in preparation for a visit from Diane Ericson who came over the hill from Ashland last week for a few days of fun.  
We sewed in the studio, did some hand work sipping wine coolers at the end of the day, shared our current work, had great conversations, played with fabrics in the ArtBarn and did visioning and brainstorming around our mutual businesses.  
Diane brought some of the fabulous garments she is working on and is currently featured on her website blog.  A master of re-fashioning re-cycled clothes, she started with a pale pink linen gored skirt and a matching hunk of silk organza and went home with a gorgeous blouse.  
You MUST go to Diane's blog to see the blouse and the other inspiring garments Diane brought to share during our visit.

Diane shopped the ArtBarn and took home these 2 stacks of fabrics.



My sewing goal was to use current fabric and a current pattern to make something to wear right now.
I started with Vogue 8876 and easily turned it into a tunic.


Eliminated the bottom band and the collar.
Changed the neckline to a V. (I do this when sewing the garment, fold it in half, match the shoulder seams and carefully re-shape and re-cut the neck.
Bound the armhole and neck edges with a gray stripe.
The fabric is our Silvery Dots French Cotton the binding is our Scandia Stripe Cotton Lawn.
I shortened it a bit more and added a slit at center front.
Let a tiny bit of the bias binding at the armhole peek out.
Used Katherine's clever buttonhole invention: one large buttonhole held together with a bar tack at the center and two small buttons grouped together.





The pant is an out of print Marcy pattern for Vogue that I keep using again and again.  
Has no side seam with a tuck and darts to nip in at the hem.
I added front patch pockets.
Used a gray French cotton (sorry, sold out)



Tunic #2 is made using our Sugar and Cream Stripe Knit. which I cut on the bias.  This worked beautifully, hangs very well, really no different to handle than cutting a knit on the straight of grain.  
I can't show the entire garment as it is a prototype for a future pattern, but here you can see how the bias looks and that neck and armhole use the selvedge edge as an easy finish.



My friend Carrie Marie Tasman is here visiting this week.  
Known for her animal portraits, Carrie Marie is a fine artist, fabric designer and graphic designer (and dear friend).  Click on the link above to see her blog and work.
CM brought her sewing machine and big computer along with dog Tully to hang with Vasco.
We're going to work on new graphics for display ads and the website and there will be more sewing!  
I'm headed to NYC in a few weeks and am whipping up some hot weather city clothes.
Stay tuned and stay cool!

11 comments:

  1. Marcy,
    thanks for showing your neckline on your V8876 dress. I love how it turned out. I've been wanting to make your dress and change the neckline as I don't like high collars in the summer. I now have inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it. I'm really pleased with these pieces and am ready to do another rendition of the dress as tunic, maybe in a knit.....could work really well. (Or mix a knit and a woven).

      Delete
  2. My first time to your blog. Love these fabrics, especially love the polka dot top. Great work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made it twice and love that dress - might have to make a tunic now. Which out of print pant pattern did you use for the grey pants? Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pant pattern is OOP Vogue 8397. I've made a hard paper copy of it as I've used it so many times. Forgot to mention that I taper the leg a bit on the inner seam. AND...it is super fast to put together!

      Delete
    2. YEAH - I have that pattern. I'll add a post-it with the tapering info. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh, these are so lovely. You make me want to move someplace warm! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tunic would work well with a 3/4 sleeve and/or wear with a shrug or cardi.

      Delete
  5. Love what you did with your dress pattern. The tunic maintains the interesting seamlines, but is nice in the scaled-down shape. The pants and knit tunic look oh so comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your changes to the pattern. I bought this pattern as soon as it came out - just love it, but haven't found the right piece of cloth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! Didn't think about a tunic for the dress pattern (I have both patterns). How much did you taper in the leg, and about where did you start the taper?

    ReplyDelete